Inaugurated in 1926, this gigantic war memorial was built in the memory of the Haybes tragedy during the First World War.
In the heart of the village, we can see a triumphal arch made of white stone of France with the list of victims of the village.
In the center, there are characters, made in bronzed cast iron, situated on a fragment of the globe representing France.The scene represents the French people, under the guise of a teenager. In his left hand, he carries books representing the Law and the Science. In his right hand, he brandishes the torch of freedom. Protected by a lion, he walks under the wing of the victory that guides him on the right way.
The sculpture is put on a blue stone base, also known under the name of limestone of Givet. on this base, we can see three bronze plates. The first one represents the main street of the village in flames. The second one shows the Fatherland bowing a grave. The last plate shows a section of machine gunners, on the left bank of the river, looking towards Haybes.
This sculpture is the work of L. Rauner.